Friday, April 28, 2006

My summer plans...


Greetings all, and welcome to my running blog!

I decided to start my own blog site as a tool to prepare for a marathon this summer. One of the marathon training guides I read said that sharing your goals with others will help to keep you motivated because it sets expectations and will help to keep you focused on those goals. So, here we go!

You may recall last year I ran a whole bunch of races, including my first half marathon. This year I have been running in a bunch of 5k's, pretty much taking it easy with my training and not trying to do anything too crazy thus far. Earlier this month, my sanity got on the bus, and I sent in my registration for the Moose Mountain Marathon on September 9th (my birthday!) in Lutsen, MN. It is part of the Superior Trail Race series and is conducted entirely on the Superior Hiking Trail.

I have some aggressive goals this year, and I intend to be wiser with my training. Last year I trained very stupidly for my half marathon. I ran hard all the time, taking very few days off. As a result, I developed patellar tendonitis in my right knee (a.k.a., "runner's knee"). A golf trip a few weeks before the race further aggravated the situation and nearly ruined me. Thankfully, ice and rest helped me out so I could run in the race. I mention this because the goal this year is to train SMARTER so I don't get hurt!

I will post updates regularly (or semi-regularly!) as I train for the event so I can tell you how I am doing, so you can keep track of my progress, and so you can hopefully offer me some encouragement! :) I will also cover any other races I do leading up to the big race in Sepetember.

Later!

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails