Thursday, May 11, 2006

Against The Wind

I have been a long time listener to the local "classic rock" station, 92 KQRS FM in Minneapolis, and I have developed a deep appreciation for the quality rock 'n roll of the 60's through the 80's. Today I could not help but think of that old Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band song, "Against The Wind." Except for the green leaves, it looks and feels like November rather than May. It is gloomy and gray, and there is a 25-30 MPH wind to contend with. And let me tell you (quoting Bob Seger), "we were runnin' against the wind."

Needless to say, she was a wee bit breezy on the run tonight! The pond I run by actually had waves on it, and the little red-winged blackbirds were doing all they could to hang on to the cattails and reeds. I couldn't tell if the wind was coming from the north, northwest, or northeast. Sometimes it seemed like all three, because I never felt like I got a break! On those rare stretches where I was going with the wind, I was really moving, but those spots were few and far between.

That being said, days like today are a really good workout. I always feel like I got something accomplished on windy days, because you definitely have to work harder when you are getting beat up by the elements. And it is a satisfying feeling when you are done.

Tonight is the last of my leftover Schmidts ring bologna for dinner (still yummy), and then I will be catching the new episode of "The Office." Tomorrow is Friday, which marks not only the start of the weekend, but it is also the infamous Minnesota fishing opener starting at midnight Saturday. This year, I will not be fighting the traffic heading north. Instead, I am staying put to do some running, some cooking, and watch a little NASCAR racing and PGA TOUR golf, and I am really looking forward to it!
Related Posts with Thumbnails