Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Mother Nature is a tease

Weather this time of year is always such a rollercoaster. It can go from a miserable 50 degree days like on Saturday to a 70 degree and sunny day like today in no time at all. Everything is so green and lush. The flowering trees are blossoming. The birds are singing, and the sun is shining.

Or, at least it was shining.

The moment I walked out of the office, a bank of gray, ominous clouds moved in from the west. The wind increased, and it looked like the heavens could open up at any second. Huh? Where did the sun go?

The lesson is, as always, if you don't like the weather in Minnesota, wait for 5 minutes!

That being said, I had a nice run tonight. The legs felt good after the race weekend, so I am resting properly. It was the usual 4.5 mile route again today. Thankfully, I did not get rained on (it just looked like I was going to!), and the cloud cover actually does make for more pleasant running. And while Mother Nature teased me with the earlier sunshine, she sure treated me to some great wildlife during today's run.

There were a pair of hooded mergansers swimming around on the pond today very close to shore. They are beautiful little ducks, and the male even puffed up his magnificent crest for me. And, not more than two blocks later, I got to see the resident albino gray squirrel. He is pure white and stands out like a sore thumb! I had not seen him in some time, so I was happy to see he was still around. Always nice to see some fun and interesting creatures while putting in the mileage.

Speaking of mileage, I found a great Internet tool powered by Google called the Gmaps Pedometer. It allows you to point and click on different spots on a map to record a route and calculate its mileage. I traced my running route, and it is almost spot on.

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails