Monday, May 15, 2006

Running in the Wolverine State

Today is my day off from running. And what better to do on a day off than scheme about a trip and another race?

This weekend I made plans for a little summer vacation. While thumbing through one of my Trail Runner magazines, I discovered something called the Keweenaw Trail Running Festival in Copper Harbor, Michigan, on July 7th - 9th.

A trip to the U.P. to run in a race? It really isn't that far away. And as my Dad said, "That's a good way to see this country...run through it!" Why not? Sign me up!

The Keweenaw Trail Running Festival sounds like a very cool event. Not only are there are a number of different races going on over the weekend (I am entering the 25k race on the 9th), but there is a trail running expo with various shoe and gear vendors. Also, the event places a big focus on the environment and conservation, as well as healthy, organic, locally-grown foods. Plus, I have never been to Michigan before (this seems like a good excuse to go), and the Copper Harbor and Keweenaw Peninsula areas look absolutely gorgeous.

The course sounds pretty interesting, too. They call it a "highly diverse trail" (which is a kind way of calling it "hilly"), and it even involves a stream crossing in the later stages of the race (stream….crossing?). I am sure this will prove to be a good test for me as I prepare for the Moose Mountain Marathon in September.

Of course, before going I will have to rewatch the classic movie, "Escanaba in da Moonlight," to brush up on my knowledge and understanding of "Yooper" culture. I might even have a pasty or two. :)

My summer plans are starting to take shape, and I am getting pretty excited!

Later,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails