Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Talking about gear

Today is a day off from running. Kind of a shame, since it is gorgeous out! But over the last several months, I have been trying to stick to a fairly regular schedule of two days running and one day off. This way, I get to run at least 5 days a week while still getting adequate rest. It ensures I am not overtraining like I did last summer. My marathon training will begin later in May. I am still looking at different training plans to find one that I think will work best for me. I am hoping to find one that offers a similar pattern of rest while still getting adequate mileage.

I need something else to discuss today since I am not running, so let's talk about gear! I will fully admit to being a geek, and I love having all the right stuff. So here are some of the things I have learned over the last couple years that help to make running more successful and enjoyable:

The old cotton T-shirts and gym shorts are out! The new "microfiber" running gear is the best. It is thinner, lighter, slicker, and actually wicks moisture away from the body to help keep you cooler. Cotton clothing holds on to moisture, becomes heavy, could cause chafing, and will not dry quickly. Virtually every shoe manufacturer makes their own line of clothing that would fit the bill nicely.

Believe it or not, socks actually make a difference! Gone are the 6-packs of of the plain white tube socks. There are some really great running socks out there that have reinforced heels and toes that offer extra cushioning in the strike zones and help to prevent blisters. They also wick moisture away, helping to keep your feet dry. Current favorite brands of mine are Thorlos and PowerSox.

Avoid buying shoes just because they look cool, and go somewhere with a knowledgeable sales staff. A specialty running store will give you the best service. There, they will put you on a treadmill and watch what your feet do to help determine what type of shoe you need, and they will make sure you are fitted properly. That is service you will not get at a sporting goods superstore, and the prices are really no different. Most importantly, you will know you are getting the right shoe for you. The store I go to is the Start Line in Minnetonka. Very nice and helpful folks there.

All right, enough babbling! Time to get dinner ready. Tonight is really exotic; a box of Annie's Macaroni and Cheese! Actually, the stuff is pretty good, and it is organic, too. Then later on is the much anticpated new episode of "Lost," accompanied by a glass of wine! :)

Later,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails