Saturday, June 24, 2006

Humid running, and a quest for smoked meats

Sweltering in the 70's

I did an abbreviated run this afternoon, as I was in Brainerd earlier this morning and had to wait until I got back to put in my miles. I only went about 3 1/2 miles, because I was planning to go longer tomorrow anyway. I ran harder than normal to make the shorter distance a productive one, though.

Another good reason for the shorter run is because it wasn’t all that pleasant as far as the weather is concerned. The temperature was only 76 (which I would typically considered cool in late June), but it was really humid and felt hotter than it was. Very soupy out there today! Not terribly surprising with weather like this, we are in for some rain this afternoon. Currently, there is a storm watch, and I see some clouds brewing in the west.

Another great small-town meat market

One of the great things about driving from Brainerd back to the Twin Cities is that it enables you to make a pilgrimage for smoked meat products. On the way home, I stopped at McDonald’s Meats in the small village of Clear Lake, MN.

McDonald’s Meats (a.k.a. “The Jerky Stop") is about the only thing in Clear Lake. It is a tiny town located on Highway 24, which is the only road that crosses over the Mississippi River between St. Cloud and Elk River, so it is one of the main gateways to the north country. They are known for their jerky, and they have many varieties. But they also have the full meat counter and sausage products galore. McDonald's does all their own smoking on site, and the place smells fantastic. Just another example of a great, rural Minnesota meat market!

$70 later, my cooler was full of smoky, beefy, and porky goodness. St. Louis style smoked ribs for dinner tonight, baby! :)

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails