Saturday, June 17, 2006

Running Food: Giada's Balsamic Roasted Chicken

It was a day off from running today. I am glad, because the weather is about as miserable as it was yesterday! So today, how about another food-related post?

Tired of the same old roasted chicken? This dish from Giada De Laurentiis of the Food Network gives an old favorite a new twist.



Giada is one of my favorite chefs on the Food Network. She is actually the granddaughter of the famed movie producer, Dino De Laurentiis, but she opted for culinary school instead of the family business. Her show, Everyday Italian, really demonstrates the simplicity of Italian cooking. Most of her dishes are very easy to make with ingredients that can be easily found just about anywhere. Plus, she is really cute, too! :)

Her roasted chicken with balsamic vinaigrette has fast become a favorite of mine. By marinating it overnight (be sure to marinate this overnight, if at all possible) in the mixture of balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and olive oil, it becomes tangy, flavorful, and moist, but it also gives the skin a really nice and dark color.

As with most written recipes, I do some things differently:

The ingredients for the marinade aren’t written in stone (the amounts for this same recipe are different in her cookbook!), so feel free to play with the amounts of balsamic vinegar, mustard, lemon, and oil, if you so desire. I also add fresh thyme to the marinade because I love the flavor.

Also, I don’t mess around with making a sauce with the pan drippings. I find that there aren’t all that many drippings to work with anyhow, and I prefer just to drizzle it with some aged balsamic vinegar and have a little mustard on the side.

And, I find that the chicken will be done in 45 minutes at 400 degrees, but use a meat thermometer if you aren’t sure.

I have tried a number of Giada’s recipes, and I haven’t made anything that I didn’t like. This chicken is great stuff, and the leftovers are fantastic, too.

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails