Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Running Food: Honey Wheat Bread

Loafing around

Every runner knows that carbohydrates are an important source of energy. Recently, I have been getting into the habit of baking my own bread, since I usually have some toast for breakfast, and I like to have sandwich bread on hand. Making it yourself is a great thing because you can use all natural ingredients and eliminate the preservatives found in store-bought loaves.

I got a great recipe from my Mom that that I have been having a lot of success with, and I even altered it ever so slightly with the use of honey as the primary sugar. And, by the way, I am now a huge fan of instant yeast! This stuff is great. There is no proofing necessary. You just throw everything together. It couldn't be easier.

Honey Wheat Bread
makes 1 loaf

-1/4 c. milk
-1/2 c. water
-3 T. honey
-2 T. molasses
-2 T. butter
-1 t. salt
-1 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
-1 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
-1 1/2 t. instant yeast
-Extra butter for the loaf pan and for brushing on top

With the dough hook attachment on a stand mixer, mix all ingredients for 15-20 minutes, or until the dough comes together with a smooth surface. Allow to rise in a bowl, covered in a warm place, for 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size (alternatively, for bread machine users, you could do this on the "dough" cycle up to this point). Punch down and transfer to an 8 1/2 inch buttered loaf pan. Cover and allow to rise again until doubled in size. Brush the top of the loaf with some melted butter. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. Remove from the loaf pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Slice and enjoy!

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails