Monday, June 12, 2006

Running Food: Roasted Tomato Sauce

Over the weekend I did a lot of cooking, and one thing I made was this experimental roasted tomato sauce. It turned out quite nice, so I thought I would share those results.

I don't have precise amounts, but here are the ballpark figures (this could really be altered or multiplied any way you see fit): I took 5 roma tomatoes and cut them in half. They were tossed in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil with two large cloves of garlic (thinly sliced), perhaps a teaspoon of fresh thyme, about a 1/2 teaspoon of dried marjoram, some salt, and fresh cracked black pepper. I slow-roasted them (cut side up) in an ovenproof pan at 300 degrees for about 75 minutes. I pureed everything until I had a slightly textured sauce (the tomatoes could be roasted even longer for deeper concentration, but since I wanted to make a sauce, I didn't want to lose too much moisture).

The roasting process shrinks the tomatoes slightly and creates little caramelized brown bits on both the tomatoes and garlic slices. What you end up with is a very concentrated tomato sauce with a nice roasted garlic flavor. This made for about 1 cup of sauce (so I think I will multiply the recipe so I can make a larger batch next time). Admittedly, this is a little involved and time-consuming just to make a simple tomato sauce, but the extra effort is worth the trouble.

I made this for a pizza topping (and tonight it was awesome on my pizza topped with prosciutto and caramelized onions...by the way, are you sick of my pizza pictures yet??). But it would also work exceptionally well tossed with pasta, or even spooned over something as simple as a grilled chicken breast.

It would serve as a great "all-purpose" tomato sauce; it is really tasty, and there isn't a thing in it that is bad for you!

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails