Sunday, June 18, 2006

These go to eleven

Some of you might remember a movie in the early 80’s called "This Is Spinal Tap," a mock documentary (or, “mockumentary,” if you will) about a really bad heavy metal band. In the movie, Christopher Guest’s character, Nigel Tufnel, is describing the amplifiers to the film director, Marty DiBergi. The exchange is as follows:

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...
Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.

The only reason I am even mentioning this noteworthy, albeit geeky, series of quotes is because my run went to eleven today. 11 miles, that is!

It was a beautiful morning, and I thought I would do my 8 mile route today. The sun finally came out after two days worth of clouds, haze, and occasional rain. I took off at 6 AM to run through Minnetonka Mills and down the bike trail. At that time, it was 67 degrees, but it was still rather humid, so I was glad I had the opportunity to run early while it was at least a bit cooler.

I got to my turnaround point for my 8 mile run, and I felt so good that I just kept going. I ended up running all the way to Highway 101. Best I can tell from my trail map is that is somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 1/2 miles from my doorstep. So today, I went to 11!

Lots of birds out and about today. There was a great blue heron stalking his prey in Minnehaha Creek. The cardinals and the American goldfinches were absolutely everywhere. And I even got to see a Baltimore oriole happily singing away, so it was a great day for birds.

With my long run out of the way, I intend to put my feet up, flip between the U.S. Open and the NASCAR race, and just relax!

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails