Saturday, July 29, 2006

Running with the rabbits on a hot summer morning

I ran at 5:30 this morning, once again to avoid the heat of the day. The temperature was 78 degrees even at that time, and it was really humid and gross. However, the skies were overcast due to a weather system bringing showers to the north of the metro, so that was a blessing.

July must be “rabbit month” in Minnesota. I can’t tell you how many I saw today. There were at least a dozen in the first mile alone, and I completely lost count after that. I am telling you, they are taking over! :)

I ran 9 miles on the trail today and hardly saw a soul. It was relatively comfortable until the last 2 miles when the sun reared its ugly face from behind the clouds, heating things up in a hurry. I drained my 20 oz. water bottle, and by the time I got home, my microfiber running shirt and shorts (the kind that wick moisture away from you and supposedly dry quickly) were absolutely saturated to the point that it looked like I had fallen into a lake. It is going to be a miserable day outside today, so I am glad to be done with the run (and tomorrow is a day off!).

After my run, I showered up and visited the Hopkins Farmers’ Market for some corn and yellow wax beans. Then it was off to do a little grocery shopping.

As I was not really too excited about the prospect of standing in front of a hot stove today, I have thrown some pork shoulder into the crock pot so I can make shredded pork tacos later on. I haven't made any Tex-Mex style food in ages, and it just sounded good. I made a spice rub of chili powder, ground ancho chiles, cumin, coriander, cayenne, dried pepper flakes, onion powder, thyme, sage, salt and pepper, and the roast is now slow-cooking in beer and some smashed garlic cloves. It smells great in here! I will let you know how it turns out.

Stay cool!

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails