Sunday, July 30, 2006

Staying indoors and feasting on asphalt (and bread!)

Today is my day off, and the timing could not be better. We are facing record high temperatures nearing 103 today. Tomorrow could be even hotter. Good grief! I made one trip out at about 8 AM to run to the grocery store for a few things, but that was it. I am not venturing too far from the AC today.

Currently I am working on an experimental loaf of bread; a cinnamon-raisin swirl bread. I have never made one of these before, and I sort of combined elements from a couple of recipes, so who knows how this is going to go? It is currently in its second rise (hey, at least it is rising!). If it turns out, I will let you know.

Unrelated to anything, I need to tell you about a new show on The Food Network. Alton Brown of “Good Eats” fame has a new program called ”Feasting on Asphalt.” In a nutshell, Alton is doing a cross-country motorcycle trip from South Carolina to California, avoiding all Interstates, and avoiding all national chain restaurants in a quest to find real “road food,” as he calls it. The first episode was on last night, and it was fantastic. It combines the educational and historical elements of “Good Eats” with the adventure and excitement of Anthony Bourdain’s old show, “A Cook’s Tour.” Check it out if you get a chance.

Stay cool,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails