Friday, July 14, 2006

Weather patterns, running meteorologists, and bunny rabbits

In looking back at my running journal from last year, we had the same kind of weather exactly one year ago. The 2005 Lumberjack Days 10-Miler in Stillwater happened on July 23rd. That entire week leading up to the race was miserable with temperature in the 90's every day. The day of the race, the heat index reached a staggering 110 by the afternoon. Thankfully, it was overcast and 80 degrees during the race, so it wasn't as oppressive as it could have been. But later in the day, the windows in my apartment fogged up because of the unbelievable heat and humidity!

'Tis the season, I guess. The weather forecast for the weekend is just completely awful. We could see our first true 100 degree reading in the Cities since 1995. And the local meteorologists have whipped themselves into a frenzy over the possibility of triple digit temperatures on both Saturday and Sunday.

Speaking of local meteorologists…

He has been talked about here before, but I need to mention KARE 11's Sven Sundgaard again. He is a big time runner who is training for the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon this October. In his latest blog entry, Sven waxes poetic about running. And I couldn't agree more with his assessment of treadmills.

Anyhow, I digress. On to my run!

Once again I got up early and did my 4 1/2 miles in the morning to avoid the heat of the day. We did have some thunderstorms move through the metro last night, which cooled things off slightly and kept me busy trying to dodge puddles in the low light conditions! It was about 66 degrees, still very muggy, but really quite nice compared to the alternative of running in the afternoon. I have felt really good on my morning runs, and the scab on my knee is almost completely healed over from the tumble I took in Michigan, so my flexibility is pretty much back to normal. As with yesterday, there was barely a sign of life except for the five different cottontail rabbits who ran like crazy when they saw me. There were bunnies everywhere! Apparently they are early risers, too. :)

OK, I've rambled long enough! Tomorrow is a day off from running, and I plan to enjoy sleeping in and staying close to an air conditioner!

Stay cool,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails