Monday, August 28, 2006

Fall is here!

Today was a great running day; 67 degrees, overcast, with an occasional stray raindrop. Nice and comfortable. I did my usual route at a pretty solid pace, and I felt really good out there. I am happy to be running in some more favorable temperatures, and dare I say I am looking forward to the fall season.

By the way, I am officially declaring that fall is here! We are starting to see all of the signs; things like the ominous “Welcome back” message on the school’s lighted sign that will be greeting students next week as they return from summer break! Also, if you look closely, you can start to see hints of yellow in the trees. Sure, some people will attribute that to the relatively dry summer. But still, things aren’t going to be getting any greener until next spring!

I had an interesting bird sighting today. A common bird, but an interesting sighting nonetheless. I saw a mother mallard with three babies that were perhaps a little more than half her size. Clearly, these guys were either a late hatch, or a possibly a second hatch. They were pretty well along in their development, so I would anticipate they will be ready to head south come October, but it was so strange to see small ducks at this time of year. Grow quickly, little ones, because as I said, fall is here! :)

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails