Saturday, August 12, 2006

Minnesota Nice

A lovely morning for a run. It was overcast and 65, so today was a runner’s dream. In fact, I looks back at my running journal, and the last time I got to run in 60 degree temps was exactly 21 days ago! A nice treat.

I did 8 miles on the trail through scenic Minnetonka Mills. It is worth noting that just this week, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune did a story on Minnetonka Mills and its history. I covered it here in my ”Searching For Minnesota” blog (yes, I have three blogs now, which means I must have a blogging problem!)

You have undoubtedly heard the term, ”Minnesota nice.” I have to believe it is true to a certain extent. I always say hello to all the runners and walkers I meet on the trail. While some are reluctant to reciprocate, others are downright chatty.

Take today for instance; I was just past three miles into my run when I was passing another runner who was going the same direction as me. I exchanged pleasantries with him, and he asked my how far I was going. I said “Just 8 miles today.” He started to laugh and said, “You know you are a crazy runner when you say ’just’ 8 miles!”

We ran together and talked a bit more. He was a very nice and gregarious gentleman, and I learned he was crazier than me today. He was going 20 miles and was training for the Whistle Stop Marathon in Ashland, WI!

I reached my turnaround point, we wished each other well, and continued on our ways. So, “Minnesota nice” does exist, in case you were wondering!

I just returned from the farmer’s market where I bought a huge bunch of basil. It filled one of those plastic produce bags, and it cost me $1. Amazing. Now I need to figure out what to do with it! I think I am going to make a traditional pizza Margherita this evening, which is possibly my favorite pizza in the world. I can’t wait!

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails