Friday, October 06, 2006

Closer to Des Moines

Now that I am pretty much caught up with events from the last week, I can look forward to the future a little bit.

The lease has been signed at the new apartment, so everything is official. I start moving my stuff on November 1st. My apartment is an absolute disaster area covered with boxes and crap that needs to be packed. I am going to try and get a lot done over the weekend since I will be gone for the next.

And the reason I am going to be gone the following weekend is because of the Des Moines IMT Half Marathon, which is only 9 days away! I make the journey to Iowa next Saturday morning, and I will return after the race on Sunday, so it will be a bit of a whirlwind trip. But I am really looking forward to it because I had such a great time last year. I've already printed out my hotel reservation and race confirmations. My hotel is right in the heart of downtown Des Moines, approximately a well-struck 9-iron away from both the race expo and the starting line, so everything will be very conveniently located.

This year features a slightly different course. Most of the half marathon race course is similar to last year, however they cut off the loop that led us to the steps of the beautiful Iowa State Capital building due to some road construction in the vicinity. To make up for the loss of that route, they have added a segment around Grays Lake Park along the Raccoon River, which ought to be pretty scenic.

And, I have been trying to figure out where I am going to dine while I am there, which is always the most fun thing to research! Last year I had a damn fine plate of penne with smoked chicken and wild mushrooms at the Raccoon River Brewing Company, so that remains a distinct possibility. However, for the sake of variety, I might try another establishment. Decisions, decisions. We will see!

The experts always advise dialing back your training leading up to a big race. So this week I will be taking it pretty easy with runs on Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. Nothing too crazy, just my normal distance for most of those days, and perhaps nothing more than a 5k on Friday. I will do an 8 mile run this Sunday, and that will be my last "long" run before the race. Plus, I will be eating a lot of carbohydrates over the course of the week. All of the hard work has been done, so I will do my best to save some energy for October 15th!

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails