Sunday, November 26, 2006

RACE REPORT - 2006 Turkey Run 5k

I have returned from my Thanksgiving vacation. It was a fantastic week with a lot of fun stuff that took place, so it might take me some time to get the blog updated! Let’s begin with how my vacation started; with a race!

On Sunday, November 19th, I participated in the Turkey Run in St. Paul, MN.

The columns at the entrance of Como Park Elementary



The Turkey Run is a 5k run/walk headquartered at Como Lake Elementary School on the east side of Como Lake. The race isn’t a particularly serious one. It is intended to be fun as a way to encourage people to stay active during the holiday eating season. That being said, there are always some fast people who show up, too.

It was a very chilly morning with temperatures in the upper teens when I arrived at the race headquarters. There was frost all over the ground, and the lake was frozen over enough to offer support to the geese and ducks that were standing on it! Thankfully, as the sun came up, it warmed to a pleasant 32 degrees with calm conditions. A fantastic day for running!

Chilling out at the 2006 Turkey Run



I didn’t have any set goals for the Turkey Run aside from “just go out there and do your best.”. The last race I was in was the half marathon, and this race would be a full 10 miles shorter. I had not run a 5k in 6 months, so I just decided to go out there, put one foot in front of the other, and see what happens.

The horn sounded, and 400+ runners and walkers hit the streets of St. Paul. Faster runners were off like a shot. I quickly found my way out of the congestion at the starting line and settled into a quick but comfortable pace.

The race course is a clockwise loop around Como Lake, mostly on the walking paths. It is a route I am now familiar with, as this would be the third race I have run on the same course.

I won't bore you with a mile-by-mile recap. For the sake of brevity, let's just say I had one of my fastest races ever. I finished in 21:18, which is a new 5k personal record by 20 seconds.

What an unexpected surprise, and a great way to kick off my Thanksgiving holiday. And really, a very nice way to close out the 2006 racing season. This is my final race of the calendar year, and it will give me some incentive to start setting some new goals for 2007!

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails