Sunday, December 03, 2006

There is no bad weather, just bad gear

I once read a quote by an elite trail runner, skier, and triathlete from Duluth named Rod Raymond. He said in the November 2005 issue of Trail Runner magazine, “We like to say there’s no such thing as bad weather. Just bad gear.”

This morning I definitely needed the “good gear!” It was 12 degrees with a strong NW wind, and a wind chill of -2. Because I have "good gear," I was able to go 8 1/2 miles. I dug out the full face mask for my run, along with some base layers, my Illuminite jacket, and my winter running tights, and I was good to go. It may sound strange that you can be perfectly comfortable running it weather like this, but it is true. You are not cold once you get going!

I ran my loop on the Rice Creek West regional trail, and then I broke off and ran a lap around my lake. It was a great run, very peaceful. I did see two other runners, as well as two other walkers (including one with a golden lab puppy who completely disobeyed his owner and chased after me!). But those were the only signs of life. Not very many people braving the cold on this day.

Yesterday, for a relaxing Saturday, became kind of busy. I did my grocery shopping (at the beautiful Kowalski’s Market in White bear Lake), did my shopping for the essentials at Target, went out for lunch at The Bierstube, baked a wonderful loaf of 7-grain honey-wheat bread to have on hand for the week, made a killer homemade pizza with venison sausage , and got my Christmas cards done. Whew!

After my run, I decided I will be staying in for the day. Today I have no plans to go anywhere or do anything, other than watch football and make a duck and wild mushroom ragu with a couple of duck breasts that my brother gave me. Love those relaxing Sundays that involve football and cooking! :)

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails