Sunday, December 31, 2006

What's up for 2007

With the 2006 running season coming to a close, what does 2007 have in store? Well, I am not entirely sure! I have some aggressive goals in my mind, but I don't have much scheduled right now, and I don't know how they are going to play out!

This year I would like to focus on some longer races, and also do some more trail races. So far, here is what is on the schedule:

January 1 - Resolution Solution 5k - Why not kick off the New Year with a low-intensity 5k fun run? This race is taking place in White Bear Lake, a town very close to me. I have not done this race before, but I think it is a pretty laid back intended to start out 2007 on a positive, healthy note by doing something good for yourself.


March 18
- Human Race 8k - Registration hasn't opened yet, but I will be signing up for this annual St. Patrick's Day weekend race in St. Paul because it represents an anniversary of sorts; it will mark the beginning of my racing career! Three years ago, this was the first organized race that I signed up for, and I have been hooked ever since. The course is flat and fast, and it brings out some of Minnesota finest elite runners, so I will be finishing deep in the pack here!


April 21
- Trail Mix Race 25k - Here we go, my first 25k trail race! It is run in Bloomington, MN, at the Hyland Lake Park Reserves. Sounds like an interesting mix of grass and wood-chip trails with some hills to contend with. I am looking forward to it. There is also a 50k ultra taking place at the same event, but I will stick with the shorter one for now!


May 19
- Scheels Fargo Half Marathon - Being of Norwegian stock, how can I not sign up for a race that serves the traditional lefse at its prerace meal? :) And, since I have now run in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan, I felt the need to pay attention to the states west of here. Sounds like this race is quite a party, and you get to finish inside the Fargo Dome. Cool!

That is where I am at with my scheduling so far. I'm no elite athlete (even though I might try to convince myself of that when I am flexing in front of the mirror!), but I still feel like I am capable of much more. I believe I have built up a more solid base of fitness this running season, but the keys to a successful season will still be for me to train smart, add mileage gradually, and getting adequate rest.

Happy New Year to all, and all the best in 2007!

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails