Thursday, January 11, 2007

Becoming classic rock

Like many people, I love music. Because I listen primarily to KQRS, a "classic rock" station, I have developed an affinity for music from the 60's through the early 80's. Bands and musicians like the Beatles, Bad Company, Queen, Boston, Pink Floyd, Jackson Browne, Tom Petty, etc.; music that I thought wasn't cool when I was younger that I now appreciate a great deal.

Something I have noticed recently is that my beloved classic rock station has gradually started to add songs that I remember from junior high school. Just today, they played a couple of 80's songs that I had not heard in ages, including "One Night In Bangkok" by Murray Head (who, incidentally, is the older brother of Anthony Stewart Head who played the character of Rupert Giles on one of the greatest series' of all time, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"...did you know this? I just found out!), as well as "Dance Hall Days" by Wang Chung. Good grief! It was like being at the winter "Snow Daze" dance in the high school gym all over again, only without my Member's Only jacket... :)

Anyhow, I think the lesson here is when the songs you remember from your childhood are now considered "classic rock," it is definitely a sign that you are getting older!

It was a nice run this afternoon, just the usual 4 1/2 miler around the lake. This is perhaps the last nice day for the foreseeable future in terms of weather. We've finally got some cold stuff heading in this weekend, and they are predicting highs in the teens to low 20's. I will have to dig out the facemack again!

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails