Monday, January 08, 2007

Collapsing in the playoffs

This fall and winter, I have been participating in an online NFL weekly pick 'em game (where you try and pick the weekly winners of each game) with 5400 of my closest friends, and I had been doing remarkably well. For most of the season, I have been near the top of the leaderboard in the 98th to 99th percentile. At one point I was actually 4th overall! Then, the playoffs started.

The four wild card games this past weekend were all assigned 4 points each (throughout the season, each game you correctly pick is worth a single point). I figured the only way to gain ground and make a run at the championship would be to pick some upsets and go against the majority, so I selected the Cowboys and the Giants to win their games, along with the favorites Indy and N.E. to win theirs.

Of course, the upsets never happened, and with all the home teams winning, I ended up with 2 correct picks a grand total of 8 points for the weekend. How costly were my incorrect picks? Well, I fell from the first page of the leaderboard to 1297th place overall in the 76th percentile. Good grief! I feel I have fallen from grace much like a certain Dallas QB, only I don't have a country/western starlet to console me… :)

Anyhow, I took yesterday off since I went for a long run on Saturday, so today I got to try out my new shoes for the first time. I like them. They have all the comfort of the previous model, but these seem to ride a little bit nicer. For some reason, I feel like I have a softer impact on the ground, which is a very good thing. I know I only have one 4 1/2 mile run in them, but thus far I am quite pleased, and my feet are very happy!

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails