Saturday, February 03, 2007

Less Than Zero

Here is what you wear to go running when it is -11 degrees with a -33 wind chill:



I wore my base-layer long underwear with my Under Armor “cold gear” tights, and a pair of shorts. I had my Under Armor “cold gear” shirt, a technical long-sleeved T-shirt, my New Balance long-sleeved shirt that I usually wear on cool fall or spring days, and my Illuminite jacket. Add a full face mask, a stocking cap over that, and a pair of running “glittens” (combination gloves/mittens made of Thinsulate material). I was the running equivalent of Randy in ”A Christmas Story” when his mother dressed him up to walk to school in the winter.

So yeah, it was a little cold outside! I kept it short, running my typical 4 1/2 on my usual route, not venturing too far from home. I’m not going to sit here and tell you it wasn’t that bad. Streets that went directly into the wind were bitter cold. My face mask and hat got completely frosted over. My eyelashes were encrusted with ice to the point where I had to brush them off so I could see.

Otherwise, it wasn’t that bad. :)

Out of the wind, I was pretty comfortable wearing my multiple layers of clothing. And I ran pretty quickly today. I had a lot of energy, and perhaps the cold weather motivated me to finish faster!

As you can imagine, I was the only runner out and about this morning. In fact, I saw very few signs of life. There were some chickadees singing and a downy woodpecker peeping (tough birds, the lot of them). I saw an elderly couple that had the motorhome loaded up with the car in tow (clearly, they have had enough of the cold and were getting the heck out of Dodge), and there was one gentleman letting his dog in the yard out who enthusiastically shouted to me “You are a diehard!” That was about it.

I don’t have too much on my agenda today. I might venture outside for some errands later on (when it warms up to today’s projected high of -4!), and tonight I am making a Moroccan-spiced Cornish game hen for dinner, so I am looking forward to that.

Thawing out,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails