Monday, February 19, 2007

Running, hiking, eating (and not necessarily in that order)

Hi, all! I am back from Presidents’ Day weekend up north! I actually came back yesterday due to the threat of some possible snow/freezing rain (which likely never materialized), but better safe than stranded, I always say.

Despite cutting the trip short, I had a great weekend with the family. There was lots of running, some hiking, and as always, great food.

I did two runs while up there; one, a hilly 5 miler through the woods on trails and dirt roads, and a 7 miler along a frontage road on the shores of Lake Superior. The hills proved to be a tough workout, and my lower back is still feeling a little tight (hills are tough on us flatlanders!), but both runs were incredibly fun and scenic.

On my 7 miler, Dad actually drove to pick me up. My run ended at Cascade Lodge next to the Cascade River State Park. We went down to the shore to take some pictures. As you can see, it was a gorgeous day!

Yours truly on the shores of Superior



I got to do a little bit of hiking, but it was still somewhat chilly during the days I was up there. I had some very successful birding, however. I finally got to see a male black-backed woodpecker! He was so cute with the little dollop of yellow on the top of his head. And, I got to observe a pair of pileated woodpeckers happily cackling away and looking for food. Along with the usual suspect chickadees, nuthatches, deer, and red squirrels, I got to see some pretty fun wildlife. I also got to see the family cat, who took a liking to my parka, as you can tell. :)

Happiness is a warm parka!



Of course, we managed to eat quite well. Dad made classic, roasted prime rib on Saturday night, so I got my fill of perfect, medium-rare beef for the weekend! Dad truly has the seasoning roasting process down. His prime ribs keep getting better and better!

And Mom made a really fun dish on Friday. It was Giada de Laurentiis’ braciole, which is a rolled, seasoned flank steak braised in marinara sauce (Mom and Dad’s homemade marinara sauce, mind you) and wine.

An Italian feast



What a wonderful dish. Tender, flavorful meat, a sauce the was absolutely outrageous, and some good red wine to drink; not a bad meal! I had to stop myself from licking the plate. I will be making this dish on a lazy Sunday sometime.

So that is my weekend in a nutshell. Tomorrow it’s back to the grind. Ugh...

Finally, unrelated to anything, a big shout out to Kevin Harvick for winning the Daytona 500! Harvick has been my favorite driver for a number of years now, and it was great to see him get the biggest win of his career yesterday, and in such dramatic fashion. Way to go, #29! :)

Wishing I had more vacation,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails