Saturday, March 24, 2007

"The fog is getting thicker..."

“...and Leon’s getting larger!”

Sorry, sorry, I just had to use that classic quote from the movie, ”Airplane!” It is such a foggy morning here, and that line popped into my head! :)

The Twin Cities is currently under a dense fog advisory until noon. As I type this, I can barely see the condos down the street from me, which are probably a football field’s length away. That didn’t stop me from doing a long run, however. I did 10 miles today, sticking to the trails and bike paths. It was a comfortable 45 degrees with very little wind and a hefty dose of humidity (obviously!). Really excellent running weather.

In spite of the limited visibility, I did manage to see lots of interesting wildlife. The usual suspects, the cardinals, blue jays, chickadees, mourning doves, assorted sparrows, crows, and geese, were out in abundance. A mother and father killdeer scattered from the trail as I approached them. The beady-eyed grackles have returned, as have the red-winged blackbirds. I did not see a single one of these yesterday. Today, the swamps were alive with them, and their piercing yodel could be heard everywhere. I also heard the grating crow of the ring-necked pheasant in three different spots along the route. It is nice that there is still some habitat for them here in the metro.

The highlight occurred when I was on a bridge crossing a creek. Below me, I saw a large beaver swimming down the middle! I stopped to watch him, hoping he would do his patented “tail slap,” but he could have cared less that I was there. The beaver just kept lazily chugging along as he disappeared around the bend.

Needless to say, I had a blast on my run this morning.

Currently I am waiting for the fog to lift so I can head out and run my errands. I want to go somewhere for lunch, buy some groceries, and visit a sporting goods store. Then at 2 PM is the NASCAR Busch race at Bristol, so I need to be back in time for that!

Fogged in,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails