Friday, March 23, 2007

Great weather, pretty hawks, and a woodpecker's lunch

What a spectacular day in the metro. We had 62 degrees, sunny, and just a little bit of a breeze. Wonderful running this afternoon.! I did 4 1/2 miles strictly on the bike path and trails. There were several walkers out enjoying this fantastic spring day as well.

I saw lots of birds, including chickadees, cardinals, geese, and a pair of enormous red-tailed hawks sitting very low in a smaller tree. I stopped to take a look at them, but they were well aware of my presence and took off for higher ground.

In my earlier post, I told you about the carpentry the pileated woodpecker has been doing along one of my running trails. I brought a camera with me today to show you what he’s been up to.

Pileated’s carpentry



I’m not sure if the picture does justice to how deep these holes are, and what you can’t see is the pile of wood chips at the base of the tree. What is really impressive is that it didn’t take him very long to do this. These holes were not there earlier this week! A magnificent bird, for certain.

Tomorrow is a long-ish run for me, and then I have a bunch of shopping to do and errands to run. And this weekend we have NASCAR racing at Bristol, baby! Short track racing at its finest. :)

Enjoying the arrival of spring,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails