Thursday, April 26, 2007

A chance to be Prince Charming

The weather has just been sensational for running. This afternoon we had 58 with overcast skies and a light breeze. I could run in weather like this any day.

I did 5 1/2 miles (putting in a little extra since I want to take tomorrow off and go for a long one on Saturday), running in the park, down the trails, and through my neighborhood. It was most pleasant. Kind of a quiet bird day in terms of new arrivals, but there were a number of ducks, sparrows. robins, and the two ospreys (one in the nest and one riding the currents overhead). A lot of fun running today.

With about a mile left on my run, I was stopped by a couple of attractive young ladies on bikes. One of them had the chain slip off of the big gear of her mountain bike, so they asked me if I knew how to fix it (probably not, but that wasn’t going to stop me from trying!).

Actually, it should have been fairly easy, but unfortunately the chain had wedged in the small groove between the pedal crank and the hub. I tried to yank it out of there, but there was nothing I could do to dislodge it by hand. With my hands absolutely covered in gunk and grease (And I mean covered! I’m still trying to get this crap out from under my fingernails!), I quickly started to loose my grip, and I was of little help.

Thankfully, we were right next to a golf course, so I sent them over there where the maintenance shop would certainly have some tools that could get the chain unstuck. They thanked my for my efforts (as feeble as my efforts were), and we parted ways. I ran the last mile home looking like I tried to rob a Jiffy Lube.

Drat! A chance to save some damsels in distress, ruined. If only their dilemma was related to one of my areas of expertise, such as needing help identifying a bird, finding a good specialty running store, or wondering how to make a delicious Bolognese sauce; something along those lines. Then, being Prince Charming would not be a problem. :)

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails