Thursday, April 12, 2007

My "runiversary" surprise, and my mystery lunch

Three years ago on this very day, I strolled into a Dick's Sporting Goods and bought a pair of shoes. Tired of becoming winded from merely walking up a flight of stairs at work, I took up running in a effort to get in shape. If you had told me at the time that this simple fitness pursuit would lead to taking trips to remote places like Copper Harbor, MI, simply to run in a trail race, buying specialized clothing made of lycra and other wicking materials, and logging enough miles to have crossed the country on foot, I would have laughed out loud!

But here we are three years later, and running has taken me on a rather fun, exciting, and rewarding journey. How to celebrate such an anniversary, or perhaps more appropriate, “runiversary?” Why, by going for a run, or course!

It was a very pleasant day, quite different from yesterday. 44 degrees, a mix of sun and clouds, and a slight breeze. Great for running. Most of the snow we got has melted except for some patches in the shaded areas, so all the streets and trails were clear. Another good wildlife day, too. Wood ducks, bluebirds, cardinals, Canada geese, chickadees, robins, goldfinches, tree sparrows, and even a couple cottontail rabbits came out to greet me. I ended up doing an extra mile; 5 1/2 today. It was a nice way to spend my “runiversary!”

When I got home, I checked my mail and got the neatest surprise. There was a letter from one of my Godparents. In it was a copy of my birth announcement, as well as a picture and a newspaper clipping from my baptism! Wow, how do you even begin to say thank you for something so thoughtful and special? It absolutely made my day. Thank you, Tom and Phyl!

Oh, and unrelated to anything, I must conclude with a funny note about my lunch today; 99% of the time I bring food from home to eat at work. This week has consisted of an assortment of stuff, since I was not here to do any cooking of my own last weekend. Tuesday, I brought a sandwich made of leftover Easter ham. Yesterday, I had some of my homemade chili from the freezer. Today? Well, I grabbed the Tupperware container out of the freezer that was sitting next to yesterday's chili, thinking it was chili the whole time. Only it wasn't chili. Upon removing my container from the microwave, I realized this was something Italian; my homemade meat ragu, minus the pasta, of course! So I sat at my desk like a dope and ate my pasta sauce straight up. It tasted great, but it was screaming for spaghetti or linguini.

Note to self; start labeling leftovers.

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails