Sunday, May 13, 2007

Power to the people

The wind was really cranking down here this morning as I went out for my run. It is a blustery one out of the southeast, and the skies were overcast with a few stray raindrops.

My run started out pretty interesting. A short distance into it, I heard this horrible buzzing and snapping from the power lines along side of the road. I looked up and saw one of the guy-wires that connects to the top of the pole and is anchored to the ground was glowing an eerie neon orange. It looked like a branding iron, so something was wrong. I ran down to the local gas station and used the pay phone to call 911 to report it.

It must have been OK, because by the time I returned the situation had been resolved. Perhaps it was no big deal, but I was worried that the wire was going to melt, start a fire, or even worse, injure a passerby. Anyhow, I have performed my civic duties for the day, and all’s well that ends well!

Anyhow, back to my run; having to alter my route to call 911 turned out to be fortuitous, because it enabled me to have the wind at my back for the last 5 miles (I had slightly misjudged the direction!). The run was solid, and I felt great. This was the last “long” run before Fargo, so I feel as if I should be well prepared to have a fun experience.

I saw one new bird today, the green heron. I also used to see this guy on my running route back at the old place in Minnetonka. In fact, I could almost predict where he was going to be, because he flew from the same spot every time I ran by. It must have been a good fishing hole! I am pleased to see I have one of his buddies in my new neighborhood.

Not much on the agenda today. The weather forecast is kind of spotty, so that may hamper any outdoor activities. Last night’s NASCAR race was postponed until noon today due to rain, so with that and the PGA PLAYERS Championship, I should have plenty to watch. Also, I am making a meat loaf for dinner tonight (mmmmm....meat loaf....).

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails