Friday, May 04, 2007

Speedy in the rain

We have a weather system moving in just in time for the weekend. The rain started this afternoon, and while the local TV meteorologists insist the weekend will not be a complete washout, they have a chance of rain in the forecast every day through Tuesday! Well, we do need the moisture.

I ran in a steady drizzle this evening, which I don't mind, and I ran particularly well. I mixed in three pretty good sprints during the course of my typical 4 1/2 miles, which was kind of fun and really stretched out the legs. I have never been very good about incorporating speed work into my routine. Normally I just run a steady pace. I think I will try to do this more regularly.

For wildlife this evening, I encountered a mama deer! I ventured out of a neighborhood cul de sec and onto a park trail. As soon as I rounded the corner, there was the deer, no more than 10 feet away. I startled her, and she startled me, but I just kept running and she never moved! I turned to watch her, and she just stared at me as I ran out of sight. Clearly, she didn't think this runner was much of a threat.

Enjoy the weekend,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails