Saturday, June 16, 2007

13.1, just for fun

A large number of Minnesota runners were running in the Grandma’s Marathon/Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon today, which is one of the biggest and most historic races in the state.

Obviously, I wasn’t there. But I ran my own half marathon this morning just for the heck of it. I used the Google Gmaps Pedometer web site to map out a perfect 13.1 in my neighborhood, so I hit the streets at 5:30 this morning.

We had received some storms and rain overnight, so the streets were wet. And even that early, it was 70 degrees with a dewpoint of 70 degrees, which means two things; muggy, and foggy! The air was very thick, and high humidity always kicks my butt. I plodded along, saw very few people, and finished up in about 2 hours, so not exactly a blistering pace.

When I was done, every article of clothing on me was completely saturated. I am sure I looked like I had fallen into a lake. And this is the lighter, microfiber running gear that supposedly dries quickly. Nothing was drying out in this humidity!

I saw a number of cottontail rabbits today, well over a dozen, including several baby bunnies. They were darting all over the trails this morning. And I also saw a couple of swans quite a distance from me on a marshy lake. They were too far away to tell if they were the trumpeter swans or the tundra swans, but it was still cool to see these giant white birds!

Afterwards, I did my grocery shopping for the week, and then I treated myself to lunch at Miller’s on Main in Lino Lakes. I have eaten here several times now, and they have some pretty good chow. Today I had the walleye sandwich, which was huge and quite tasty.

Now I am just kicking back. The US Open is in full swing (pardon the pun), and I can't wait to see how the course plays today. Yesterday was possibly the most brutal test of golf I have seen, so it is shaping up to be an interesting weekend on the links.

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails