Sunday, June 03, 2007

Drizzly Sunday

Today I ran 12 miles in the early morning a steady drizzle. Actually, I don’t mind running while it is raining. It was fairly pleasant out there, with temperatures near 60.

I had the trails and bike paths all to myself, and I only saw one other pedestrian along my entire route; a guy walking two huge poodles!

There was some wildlife to report; wood ducks, American goldfinches, a great blue heron, and even a large snapping turtle sitting on the bank of a creek (I will try and stay clear of him!).

As I did not run yesterday, I took a short road trip to a town just northeast of the Twin Cities. I went to Taylors Falls, MN, a pretty little town on the bluffs overlooking the St. Croix River.

Taylors Falls has a number of historic buildings, as this region saw some of Minnesota’s first settlers. I got to see Minnesota’s oldest existing schoolhouse, which was built in 1852. It is great that these buildings are being preserved.

Minnesota’s oldest schoolhouse



I had lunch at a really cool drive in restaurant (which was called the Drive In Restaurant, coincidentally enough!). It was wonderful; real drive in food, carhops in poodle skits, and root beer served in a frosty mug. Life is good.

An absolutely awesome burger at the Drive In Restaurant in Taylors Falls



Today I am doing nothing else but cook a little pork shoulder ragu for dinner (it is simmering on the stove as I type, and it smells great!), watch a little golf, and hopefully some NASCAR (if it ever quits raining in Dover).

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails