Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Now what?

The heat is still on here in the metro. 91 degrees when I got home from work! That made for another sweltering run. I ranthe typical 4 1/2. Thankfully, much of my route is tree lines, so there was ample shade. And we had a pretty good breeze that offered a little bit of cooling, so it didn’t feel quite so hot.

I didn't tell this story in my rambling posts about the Fargo half marathon, but I made reference to a storm knocking out the satellite TV in my hotel. Dish owners will understand what I am talking about. During heavy rain, satellite TV will lose its signal. You may get a warning message indicating the signal was lost, and occasionally the screen will simply freeze up, leaving you with a pixelated mess and a still life of whatever was on your screen at the time.

So I was watching TV and the screen froze during a commercial break. I'm not sure what the commercial was for, but the screen was stuck on some text from the graphics. My TV screen showed the following words:

"NOW WHAT?"

Those words were burning into the screen for about five minutes before the signal was completely lost. Here I was in Fargo, running the half marathon, with no other race plans on the horizon. It was as if someone was talking to me, telling me to get my act together for the rest of the summer.

So, now what?

Well, here's what! I have a local race on June 24th, the Big Lake Lakes Run in Big Lake, MN. This is a shorter one, an 8k, which should be a good time. After that, the real fun begins.

On August 4th, I am planning to run a race in Watson, MN. Where in the hell is Watson, you ask? That was my question, too, but I learned it is a small town in Western MN near Lac Qui Parle State Park. The race is the Wild Goose Chase 30k, an inaugural event that runs all the way around Lac Qui Parle Lake. The course looks to be very scenic, as the whole lake is a wildlife refuge.

I figure the Wild Goose Chase will be a good test for my ultimate goal, the Walker North Country Marathon on September 15th. This event is in the town of Walker in north-central Minnesota on the shores of Leech Lake. It is a trail race that should be rather challenging, but also quite beautiful as it winds through state forests during a particularly pretty time of year.

Anyhow, that is the plan. Clearly, I have my work cut out for me, but I look forward to the challenges.

So...that’s what! :)

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails