Thursday, June 14, 2007

The time has come for someone to put his foot down...

Apartments suck.

Originally I was pretty excited to find this place. Luxurious amenities, a neat area, lots of parks, and great running trails. Well, the novelty has worn off. I can’t wait to get out of here.

I figured this apartment would have been expensive enough to weed out the riffraff, but apparently the riffraff makes more money than I thought. The floor I am on seems to be infested with younger, 20-somethings. I hesitate to call any of them “young professionals,” because I can’t imagine many of them are smart enough to make it through (or, for that matter, be admitted to) college. There are a number of the “party ‘til you puke” crowd living here. Drunk, loud, inconsiderate, and stupid. When I was awakened at 4:30 AM this past Sunday by revelers in the street below me, I thought “Maybe it is time to look for a house?”

Well, last night was the killer straw. The woman across the hall from me decided that 3 AM on a weeknight was an appropriate time to have a loud, drunken after-bar party at her place, complete with the booming stereo. She was wrong. I finally got the nerve to call the cops to put a stop to this crap. I also called the apartment manager, just to make sure this moron got yelled at by two different people. I only wish John Vernon, who played Dean Wormer in “Animal House,” was still alive so he could have stopped by to say one of his classic lines from the movie. (Such as, "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!")

What I am trying to say is I am done with apartment living. Enough of this communal B.S. I’ve had it, and I want my own space. I have no idea what I am doing, or where I will be going, but it is time to make some new plans this summer. All I really know is that there is a zero percent chance I will be renewing my lease at this dump.

On to happier things...

In spite of having no more than 4 hours sleep, my run this afternoon was really quite good. Perhaps I was still worked up from the events of the day, but I ran well, even though it was 92 degrees with a strong wind out of the southeast.

There are a number of gorgeous wildflowers blooming in the park, I saw both ospreys on the nest, a great blue heron flew overhead, and a gray catbird even squawked at me with his catlike “mew!” After a day of being completely pissed off, that made me smile. It made me remember that there are a lot of cool and beautiful things out there, and I need to keep looking for them. That includes better places to live.

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails