Sunday, July 29, 2007

Long run with plenty of wildlife

A lovely morning in the metro. There was not a cloud to be seen as I ventured out early for my long run. It was in the upper 60’s when I started, and mid 70’s by the time I finished, so fairly comfortable, but on the verge of getting warm. I do feel like I am getting more acclimated to the heat, which is good because we have a few months to go before it gets cool!

I ran 18 miles today for my longest run to date, keeping a steady pace the whole time (nothing very fast, mind you...it took me almost 3 hours). It was a different route this time, and it ended up being about a little longer than I had anticipated, but it was good. Saw some new areas, and found some different trails. It felt great to go that far!

I saw three beautiful deer, including two bucks who were shedding the velvet from their antlers. I have seen these two in the park before. One is a forkhorn, and the other a six-pointer. Nice looking deer. I started talking to them, and they didn’t run. They just stared at me like I was a moron! Oh well, at least they know I am harmless.

Many songbirds were out, and I am starting to hear and see woodpeckers again. They seem to disappear during the nesting season, so the kids must be out of the nest. I heard or saw the pileated, red-bellied, hairy, and downy.

In other bird news, a sharp-shinned hawk swooped over me on the east side of Turtle Lake. I love these little hawks. They are like ghosts; you rarely see them before they fly, and when they do, they quickly disappear into the forest.

And, I saw 18 bunnies today for a perfect “one bunny per mile ratio.”

For the rest of the day, I am putting my feet up. There is a pot of homemade Bolognese sauce simmering away on my stove as I type this, so that, over some spaghetti, will be tonight’s dinner. This afternoon is the NASCAR Allstate 400 at Indianapolis, which is probably the second biggest race on the circuit behind the Daytona 500. You can be sure I will be tuning in!

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails