Saturday, August 04, 2007

Ain't that America

So I spent my Saturday running around a game refuge in the rain.

But before we get to that...

Friday I took off from work early to head to Watson, MN. Where is Watson, you ask? It is near Montevideo in west-central Minnesota.

It is worth noting that Watson proclaims itself the “Goose Capital of the USA,” given its close proximity to Lac qui Parle Lake, a prime breeding ground and migratory pathway for the Canada goose. It also struck me as I drove through Watson that the skyline kind of reminded me of the town in the movie ”Footloose.” I resisted the urge to roll down the window and shout, ”Let the kids dance!!! :)

Watson, MN, the “Goose Capital of the USA”



Anyhow, before I got to Watson, my trip to western Minnesota was uneventful, but quite pretty. I find farm country to be beautiful, with the vast expanses of corn and beans, country churches, and the tall grain elevators off in the distance. As John Mellencamp said in his song, “Pink Houses”: “Ain’t that America, we’re something to see, baby.”

There were, as always, a few diversions along the way. Lunch at the Peppermint Twist in Delano, I stopped to see the world’s largest ball of twine in Darwin (it is as you would expect...a big ball of twine!), and I also took a detour to Madison, MN. Any place that declares itself the “Lutefisk Capital of the USA” is a place that any Norwegian-American should make a pilgrimage to, if for no other reason than to bow reverently towards the statue pictured below.

The World’s Largest Cod in Madison, MN



Also in Madison, I found this beautiful piece of Americana; an old Skelly gas station. It did not appear to be in business, rather it seemed as if it was preserved for the sake of history. The attention to detail is positively amazing.

A far cry from the gas stations of today



I stayed in nearby Montevideo and got to bed early. Tomorrow morning I would get to chase the goose.
Related Posts with Thumbnails