Sunday, September 09, 2007

Birthday boy

You say it's your birthday
It's my birthday too--yeah
They say it's your birthday
We're gonna have a good time
I'm glad it's your birthday
Happy birthday to you.

-The Beatles, “Birthday”

Yes indeed, happy birthday to me! It is hard to believe I have been buying beer for 16 years now. Legally, that is... :)

And what a nice day for a birthday. It is a cool, crisp one today and was 50 degrees when I went out for my run. I did 11 very comfortable miles. This was my last double-digit mile day before the big race this coming weekend (wow, 6 days away!). My run was good, but felt almost lazy or incomplete, given the distances I have been running lately. It is all part of the taper, though. Got to try to stay fresh!

The weather is definitely changing. Hints of color are starting to appear in the trees. Ducks and geese are flocking together. I even saw a flock of approximately two dozen American white pelicans on a nearby lake. What a sight that was!

The rest of the day is going to be pretty lazy. Sunday in September means “football,” so I am currently watching the Vikings, patiently waiting for them to disappoint me once again. :) I am also preparing my dinner for tonight. It was kind of a conundrum, because I always like to prepare something nice on my birthday, and I had a duck in the freezer that my brother gave me. But it is also football season, so I was craving some football food. I compromised and I’m preparing a duck chili con carne! Football food with flair! It sure smells good in here.

Oh, and my birthday present to myself? How does a new car sound? :)

The Silver Hornet



Yesterday I picked up my new Volkswagen, and it is awesome with a capital “A.” I now have a 200-hp turbo at my disposal, it handles like it is on rails, the stereo sounds like I am in a symphony hall, and it even has little paddle shifters on the steering wheel so I can pretend I am a Formula 1 race car driver. Those who know me are aware I am completely in love with VW’s (this is my 5th one), and when I am not driving, I tend to face the east and bow reverently towards Wolfsburg, Germany. :) Needless to say, I am excited!

Shifting in to “sport mode,”

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails