Sunday, September 30, 2007

The lawnmower man

This morning I was awakened at 5 AM by thunderstorms, but they cleared out quickly enough so I was able to run in their wake.

Today I put in 12 miles because this would be my last “long” run in my current neighborhood. By this time next week, I should be settled in at my new place, so the long runs will resume over there.

The temperature was a comfortable 64 degrees, overcast, and only a little bit of drizzle in the last mile or so. Pretty nice for running.

I encountered a mama deer and her twin fawns munching on some grass along the bike path. As per usual, I started talking to them, and all three just stared at me as I trotted by. I told them to be careful, as they were getting kind of close to a road, so I hope they heeded my advice.

Also, I saw a rogue red-breasted nuthatch. You might recall this is my buddy up at Mom and dad’s whole we refer to as “Norris.” They are much more common up north, and I don’t see very many of them down here, so that was a treat!

Unrelated to anything, I need to share a humorous story from yesterday. On my way back from lunch in Scandia, I took a roundabout route back home through White Bear Township, and I saw an older gentleman...driving a John Deere lawn mower (complete with the leaf bagging attachment)... down the highway...in the rain...and talking on his cell phone!

Now, if you have ever been on a riding lawn mower, you know that these are not exactly quiet vehicles. How a person could carry on a conversation is beyond me. But it is nice to see that the information age has finally reached the lawn mowing community... :)

All right, the computer gets disconnected tonight and will hopefully be reconnected at the new place on Tuesday. I will try to find time to chime in and maybe share some photos from the move if I am able to. In the meantime, enjoy the next few days, and I will talk to you from the “west side!”

Movin’ out,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails