Sunday, October 14, 2007

Weekend recap

For a weekend where I had nothing planned, it sure seemed busy.

Saturday started off with an 11 1/2 mile run. It was blissfully cool, even slightly chilly, at 42 degrees. But the skies were clear, and the breeze was light. Ideal for running!

I hit the bike trails and did a couple of laps around a nearby lake and through a park. Lots of wildlife, including the cormorants I had seen earlier, a bald eagle, numerous chickadees, song sparrows, blue jays, red-winged blackbirds, and even five deer. One of the deer was a young buck, a forkhorn 4-pointer, who was standing right along the trails edge. He actually startled me because he stood so still. I stopped to chat with the deer and was not more than 10 feet from him. He just stood there and munched his grass! I suppose he is so used to seeing people in the park. That was fun!

Yesterday I also officially turned in the keys at my old apartment! I am done with that place forever, and the drunk, loud Anoka County hayseeds that lived on my floor can bother someone else! :)

When I pulled into the parking lot, the song "Movin' On" by Bad Company was playing on KQRS. And after I did the walk-through with the manager and hopped in the car to go home, the song "Wind of Change" by The Scorpions came on the radio. Rather timely!

I stopped for breakfast at the Ole Piper Inn in Blaine. They had a corned beef hash, eggs, and hash browns special that morning. I am a sucker for corned beef hash, and if it is on a breakfast menu, 9 times out of 10, I am ordering it! Good stuff.

Astute readers of my blog might remember me mentioning this place. A couple of months ago while having lunch at the Ole Piper Inn, I observed a rather rotund gentleman wearing a T-shirt that said "I’m out of bed and dressed - what else do you want?" Guess what? He was there again! (Although with a different shirt!) I gather he must be a regular! :)

Following breakfast, it was time to shop! I am still sort of stocking up after the move, reloading the pantry, and picking up new supplies. A word of warning to my Minnesota friends; the local Trader Joe's stores are NOT the places to be at noon on a Saturday! Good golly, the place was packed! I bought a few things for the freezer and the pantry, and also some of their kielbasa sausage for dinner that evening (which was quite tasty and garlicky).

But perhaps the best part of yesterday would be my new slippers! I saw these bad boys for $9 at a local retail store, and I could not pass them up.

Tell me you aren't jealous? :)



Today was much more laid back by comparison. It was fairly overcast with some drizzle, so it was a fantastic excuse to stay inside and finally be able to do some real home cooking again! Nothing like a little venison stew for dinner, and on a day when the Vikings actually won a road game. :)

The first real meal in the new apartment!



Not a bad weekend,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails