Friday, November 16, 2007

I am glad I are well educated

I have decided the American education system is failing miserably.

Thursday when I got home from work, I decided to watch the game show "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader." Last night's show was a special "celebrity edition" for charity where they had a ditzy southern girl named Kellie Pickler. Apparently she is famous for being on "American Idol" at some point in time. (I had no idea, but it seemed to me that this was somewhat of a reach in the "celebrity" genre).

As we would have said back in my hometown, she was a few logs short of a cord. (Some logging humor for you this evening!) Here were some of her responses:

-A roadrunner is a bird, true or false? Believe it or not, she had to debate this. Although, I must give her credit; she did correctly settle on "true" after recalling the old Looney Tunes cartoons.

-Given a choice of A). Woodwinds, B). Strings, or C). Percussion, Kellie was asked what musical instrument family the piccolo is from. She actually said "percussion," but was bailed out by a correct answer from one of the kids. (This is a girl who is supposedly a musician, mind you)

-Budapest is the capital of what European country? Now, I might be willing to give her a free pass here. Geography is not everyone's favorite subject, so I would imagine a lot of folks might not know we are looking for the old Soviet Bloc country of Hungary. However, it is hard to let this one slide because she went on to say that she thought "Europe" was a country.

Oh…my…goodness. How did this girl make it through high school?

I was trying to imagine the poor charity she was playing for (sorry, can't remember who it was) watching this and saying, "You've got to be kidding? We left our funding in HER hands?!?" These days, they must just hand out diplomas if you can successfully fog up a mirror. I couldn't watch anymore, so I have no idea how it ended up. Disgusting!

Of course, with her "celebrity" status, she is probably amassing a small fortune compared to me. So who is the real idiot here? :)

Anyhow, the run this morning was a good one. Temps were around 32 frosty degrees, and there was a fairly stiff breeze for the first half. But the good news was that it pushed me home over the second half of the route. Always a nice treat!

It was good I went running today to help preemptively burn some calories for the company pre-Thanksgiving potluck! People brought in a veritable buffet of goodies; meatballs in red sauce, pasta salad, "Little Smokies" in BBQ sauce, a shrimp and rice stick noodle stir-fry, 7-layer taco dip, the list goes on! And one guy even did some pork tenderloins and set up a carving station in his cube! That was awesome. What an effort!

Of course, there were lots of desserts, too. And I suppose this is as good a time as any to tell everyone that I really dislike pumpkin pie. I know I am definitely in the minority, and everyone seems to think Thanksgiving would be ruined without it, but pumpkin pie is not for me in the least. Aside from simply not enjoying the taste, I have long held the belief that a dessert should never be made from a vegetable. Fruit? Yes. Chocolate? Definitely. Custard? Without question. But not vegetables, please! The only time when it is acceptable to have vegetables in a pie is when the words "shepherd's" or "chicken pot" precede the word "pie." Mom, I will take the usual apple pie this Thanksgiving. :)

Good grief, I have rambled long enough! Time to wrap this up!

No real big plans for the weekend except for doing a little shopping in preparation for Turkey Day, and I have the Turkey Run on Sunday as a closer to the 2007 racing season. This is the course where I hold my 5k PR, but I really have no goals to break that. As I found out at Rocky's Run, speed is not exactly my forte this year! So I will just run and have fun. That is what it is all about anyway, right?

Until next time,

Jean (who passed high school with flying colors)
Related Posts with Thumbnails