Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Prepping for Turkey Day

Regarding the last race I was in, Rocky's Run, the race director had a very thoughtful blog entry on 11/13 that tried to make some sense of the deaths of Rocky Racette and marathoner Ryan Shay. Please check it out if you get a chance.

Being it is the "off season," I have taken to running on an every other day schedule. My mileage is down significantly for the month, but that is OK. I am learning that you need to reduce training after long periods of high-level training in order to let the body rest. Sort of a "build it up/break it down" methodology, if you will.

This morning I did my usual 4 1/2. The weather has still been relatively mild. Low 40's today in the AM, but very windy and gusty. I continue to meet more runners and walkers on the trails and paths with me than I did in my old neighborhood, so there are seemingly greater numbers of people dedicated to fitness over here. I wonder if
anyone has done any studies whether or not Hennepin Country residents are more fit than Anoka County residents. :)

The countdown is on! My Thanksgiving starts in one week. I am taking a little vacation time and will be heading up to Mom and Dad's next Wednesday afternoon. Thanksgiving is, by far, my favorite holiday, and I haven't been up north to see the family since Labor Day. I have missed hiking in the woods and visiting with all the feathered and furry creatures as well. I can't wait!

The menu is still being tweaked, from what I understand. We always have a turkey at some point over the weekend, but never on Thanksgiving Day itself. We've developed a tradition of doing something different, be it wild game, seafood, or prime rib. And
usually what happens is Dad will set the menu, and then my brother will say something like, "Well, we need to have a duck and a pheasant to go along with that!" :) That pretty much ensures that there will be no shortage of anything. Whatever it ends up being, I am sure it will be really good!

Oh yeah, and my spaghetti and meatballs from Sunday turned out awesome. For the sauce, I used a combination of crushed tomatoes and a can of Trader Joe's "Sugo di Pomodoro" marinara sauce. Very tasty.

Viva Italia!



Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails