Monday, December 31, 2007

1350

This past Saturday, I was treated to a really great day of running. I did 9 miles through my neighborhood on the trails and around the lake. Temperatures were around 20 degrees, and a light, fluffy snow was falling. All of the trees were coated with the fresh snow, so I truly felt like I was in a winter wonderland. Along the route, I saw a few cardinals. There are few things more striking than seeing a bright red bird against a canvas of white. Those guys positively glow in the winter! Anyhow, I had a very nice run.

Otherwise, the weekend has been spent mainly doing some cooking. I was supremely bored by all of the meaningless Sunday NFL games (where most of the good teams benched their players to save them for the playoffs, as well as the hapless Vikings), so much of my day was spent in the kitchen. I made some beef jerky on the food dehydrator, homemade ravioli with whole-wheat pasta dough stuffed with a mixture of Italian sausage, potato, and Parmigiano-Reggianio and Swiss Emmenthaler cheeses (haven't tried this out yet, they are in the freezer for later), and a homemade pizza for dinner in the evening.

Today I only had a half day of work, so I left the office at noon. I went home and did my run. Prior to that, I had noticed my mileage log for the year was at 1342.5. I went out and did an 8 miler just to put over 1350 miles for the year (I figured that was a nice, round number!). The run was rather chilly today. It was 17 degrees, but they was a pretty stiff breeze coming out of the north, so that created a decent wind chill. But I did my lap around the lake, only encountering one other person (a runner) along the whole route. A great way to cap off 2007!

I have no big plans for New Year's Eve except for some football and Giada's balsamic roasted chicken (I haven't made this in ages, and it just sounded good!).

Another year is in the books, and what a year it was! I got to do a lot of fun races, achieved some new goals, ran more miles than ever before, got a new job, and a new place to live. Not bad!

Here is wishing everyone a safe and Happy New Year, and all the best wishes for a fantastic 2008!

Until next year, :)

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails