Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Good eats over the holidays

My weekends when visiting Mom and Dad are usually centered around some really excellent food, and this Christmas was no exception.

We had a lunch of Mom's chicken & wild rice soup with our friends, Marland and Nancy. Dad made venison stew one night, shrimp in cream sauce over spaghetti, and a prime rib on Christmas Day. Of course, I can't forget snacking on my brother's venison summer sausage that he made in his own smoker.

The meal highlight for me was this one; our Christmas Eve menu of pork roast, Norwegian polse sausage, mashed potatoes, scalloped corn, roasted vegetables, cranberry relish, and some traditional lefse on the side.

A plate of Norwegian Christmas goodness



As noted Norwegian chef and food writer Andreas Viestad said in his "Kitchen of Light" cookbook, "Almost everyone I know eats pork rib roast, and for them a Christmas without it would be unthinkable." So who are we to argue? :) Mom made a most excellent pork loin roast; incredibly juicy, flavorful, delicious, and the gravy should be nominated for its own food group.

Sticking with the Norwegian tradition, Dad prepared some of his homemade Norwegian polse sausage. This has been a traditional Christmas dish for years. It is not easy to find, but you might be able to track some down in the smaller Norwegian communities in southern Minnesota. Polse (as we know it) is a ring sausage made of beef and pork, and is seasoned predominantly with allspice. It is a familiar flavor to us, as a market in my Dad's hometown used to make polse sausage. And I actually prefer Dad's version to the original! His recipe is awesome.

Wow, what a meal!

So now you know why I run as much as I do; when I am fed like this when I go home, calories need to be burned off! :)

More to come....

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails