Saturday, December 08, 2007

Minus 5 equals 7

I woke up this morning to a temperature of -5 degrees (with a wind chill factor of -16 for anyone keeping score at home). Why not go for a run!

Here is what -5 below zero looks like! A shot of Weaver Lake in Maple Grove.



With the full face mask, winter base layers, gloves, and trail shoes, I hit the bike paths and trails and did 7 miles. It was absolutely exhilarating. I love running in weather like this! The crunch of snow underneath your feet, the frost that builds up on your eyelashes, and that very audible, crystalline, tinkling sound you hear when the weather is below zero (Minnesotans know what I mean). I would take running in this over running when it's 90 degrees any day.

I only saw four other signs of life. Four people, all runners, all die-hards. Is there anything more comical to a runner during the winter when runners meet and exchange an almost incomprehensible "Good morning!" that is muffled by ski masks, scarves, etc.? :) I even got to explore a new bike path that was beautiful, and will provide me with a better route to the lake loop that I run. It winds through a wide open meadow and along the edge of a creek. Awesome!

Once I thawed out from my run I did some grocery shopping, as well as some Christmas shopping (finally!). I managed to get to the stores early enough to beat a lot of the crowds, although I did pretty much get run out of the cookbook section of Barnes & Noble. There were about a dozen people tearing down cookbook displays, moving books, and setting up audio equipment for some apparent story time session or something. I felt like I was totally in the way, nobody even said "excuse me," and on top of that I didn't find the book I was looking for, either. So that pissed me off slightly. This is a further reminder why online shopping is a great thing! :)

But hey, 'tis the season to be jolly, right? So why not have a little lunch at The Lookout Bar & Grill? I tried something new today; the pork tenderloin sandwich. This just in; pork tenderloin sandwiches rock! :)

Breaded porky goodness at The Lookout



For the rest of the afternoon, I sat by the fire, watched some football and basketball, and got all of my Christmas cards done. A very productive day, if I do say so myself.

I might even go for another run tomorrow morning. The low temperature tonight will be a balmy 0 degrees. Perfect weather for running... :)

Winter running rules,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails