Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Running, sledding, and eating well heading into 2008

It seems just moments ago that Y2K was going to get us all. Somehow, here we are in 2008!

Today it was chilly; 0 degrees with a wind chill of -14. Much too cold to go anywhere, yet perfect for a run! :) I celebrated the start of the New Year with a the regular 4 1/2 miles. The eyelashes were a bit frosty, but I was no worse for wear. A great way to start the season!

Over the last two days on my runs, I pass an area with a great big hill. There were tons of little kids and their out sledding, even today in the colder temperatures (there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad gear, right?). It was kind of like a postcard from years gone by and reminded me of sledding when I was little.

A long time ago, I remember my folks, along with several other families, went sledding at a nearby lake where there was a huge and rather lengthy hill. The dads all had snowmobiles, so we would slide down the hill in out toboggans and they would give us a ride to the top. How fantastic was that? It was the greatest day of sledding ever! Anyhow, seeing those kids sledding yesterday and today was pretty cool and brought back some fun memories. This is how Minnesota winters are supposed to be!

On another note, I have been eating exceptionally well over the long holiday weekend. Sunday night was a really nice homemade pizza, and last night was a favorite recipe that I had not made in quite some time; Giada de Laurentiis' balsamic roasted chicken. The chicken recipe is awesome. I don't mess around with making the vinaigrette, rather I just drizzle some really good aged balsamic over the top.

A pretty darned nice pizza




And, Giada sure has some good recipes!



Oh, and the fun does not stop there! Tonight I am making beef and bean burritos with a homemade guajillo chile salsa. Yum! The New Year is off to a very good, and very tasty, start.

Happy New Year to all!

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails