Monday, February 11, 2008

Cold

The title of the post is not what you think. Yeah, it is cold, and our high temperature on Sunday was -4 degrees. I mean cold; as in, I have one.

On Friday, my sinuses were extremely dry, and I believed it was simply the weather to blame. By midday Saturday, I was on full “sniffles mode.” This is my first “real” cold in about 7 years. Ick! I wonder if this is partially what contributed to the difficulty of my Saturday run? Whatever the case, my head is still stuffed up, but I feel more or less OK. I haven’t been running since Saturday because I am just trying to take care of myself. That, and because it is just really freaking cold outside! (See, even I am starting to complain now!).

(And a quick note of reference to those of you who might have, or get, a cold; The Macallan “Cask Strength” scotch is absolutely excellent at clearing your sinuses.)

Not a heck of a lot to report from the rest of the weekend. Even though I was a bit under the weather, it was great to see NASCAR back on Saturday night. How fun was it that Dale Jr. took the checkers with his first outing on the new team? It always amazes me whenever he takes the lead, the roar of the crowd can actually be heard over the noise of the race cars! Only 6 days until Daytona.

Also in sports news, I got absolutely stomped in one of my fantasy golf leagues this weekend. I, along with several others, took Phil Mickelson (the #2 player in the world) at Pebble Beach (a tournament that he won last year). Well, on Saturday “Lefty” carded a crowd-pleasing 11 on the 14th hole en route to a 78 and a missed cut! Ugh. What a wasted pick on my behalf. Ah, such is the frustration of fantasy golf!

Since a post of mine would feel almost incomplete without some mention of food, here is last night’s venison and Guinness stew. What could be better for nursing a cold on a below zero day than pot of slow-cooked venison in a rich sauce of beef stock and Guinness stout beer? Not much, I say!

The Stew of the Gods



I tried something new in that I roasted some carrots and parsnips in the oven for about a half an hour until slightly caramelized before adding them to the stew. The process became somewhat involved and required a couple extra pans, but roasting the veggies made them sweeter and really changed the flavor of the dish. Yummy! And the leftovers for lunch today were outstanding. :)

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails