Wednesday, February 06, 2008

"Nothing like that Italian plastic"

A few weeks ago, I was surfing around on the TV late one night and stumbled across an Austin City Limits program on PBS featuring the band Crowded House. Children of the 80's certainly remember them for their radio hits "Don't Dream It's Over" and "Something So Strong." I really liked them then, and was surprised to see they were still performing. Quickly, I set the DVR.

I learned that Crowded House had reunited and released an album last year, so they performed some of their new stuff (which was really good), as well as a few classics, including a couple more obscure ones such as "Mean To Me" and "Italian Plastic." What a treat! They sounded fantastic. This prompted me to dig through old CD's to find my Crowd House tunes, prompted me to download some of their music that I didn't currently own, and load everything I have of theirs to my iPod. I have watched their performance several times now.

It is amazing how old songs can transport you to a different place and time. Much like the experience I had a couple years ago when hearing an Escape Club song on the radio, Crowded House had the same effect. Next thing you know, I'm singing along to all of the words of the songs I knew. "With a black and white TV, to stop us from getting lonely...." ;-)

Suddenly, it was 1986 all over again. I was bringing my boom box with me to the golf course, and "Don't Dream It's Over" is playing while I worked in the shop. Good stuff. I guess what I am trying to say is that music is awesome! :)

OK, back to running; I have been out the last two mornings. Both were nice runs, but today's was better. On Monday, we got perhaps an inch of snow (on a day when 3 to 5 inches was predicted by the National Weather Circus), so the trails still had a coating on them Tuesday. However, thanks to some mild temperatures and some quick plowing by the good folks at the park, the trails were mostly clear this morning, so I felt sort of speedy today.

One other thing I noticed this evening; I left work about 6 PM, and the sky was still a bit light in the west. The days are getting longer, my friends!

Rock on,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails