Saturday, February 09, 2008

Out of the Northwest

This morning was the warmest part of the day.

I took off at 7 AM and did a 9 mile run again, doing my loop of the lake. Temperatures were mild in the mid 20's with light flurries.

Despite being mild, the run was difficult. The flurries had blanketed the trail to the point where I felt as if I was slipping with each step. Couple that with the fact that a few trails had not been plowed from our earlier snowfall, so in those areas if was like you were running in sand. This is exhausting! To cap it all off, the nozzle on my water bottle froze after about 5 miles!

I'm starting to get a little frustrated because I would like to go on some longer weekend runs, but the weather never seems to cooperate. The big woodchuck out east said on Feb 2 that there would only be six more weeks of this, right? :)

After a shower and some grocery shopping, I went to The Lookout for some lunch. While I was dining, the weather completely changed.

Old Glory, whipping in the wind at The Lookout



As promised by the National Weather Circus, the bottom was going to drop out, bringing us bitter cold and strong winds out of the northwest. I looked out the window from my booth, and the big American flag started flapping in the breeze. The dusting of snow that coated the parking lot was blowing off, creating swirls of snow. Crazy. We are now under a "Wind Chill Warning." The temperature is going to hit about -15 with possible wind chills of -40.

Thankfully, I did my run at the right time, and I have nowhere to go! I have three things on my agenda this evening: 1.) Recliner. 2.) Fireplace. 3.) The NASCAR Budweiser Shootout on FOX. NASCAR season begins. One week until Daytona, baby! The season hasn't even start and already, Kurt Busch and my man, Tony Stewart, aren't getting along.

Oh, and that patty melt at The Lookout? Sublime. :)

Fantastic comfort food on a chilly day



Cranking up the fireplace,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails