Sunday, March 30, 2008

Catching up from the week

Sorry there have been no posts for several days! I had a lot to get caught up on at work after my Easter trip, and the weekend was fairly busy as well.

Yesterday morning I did a very comfortable 11 mile run. Temperatures were in the mid 30's and the sun was shining brightly. Nice! Feels real good after the winter we had.

There have been several new bird arrivals over the past couple of weeks. I saw my first red-winged blackbirds along the swamps, my first robins, and yesterday on my run, a flock of grackles made an appearance. All are very common, but they are signs of spring for certain.

Yesterday I also went out on the town with some friends. My friends Brett, Lisa, Eric, and Kim made some dinner plans for Saturday night. Before that, Brett and Lisa asked me if I wanted to attend a high school drumline competition to watch Brett's niece perform.

I had never seen a drumline competition before, and I was truly impressed. The kids were very talented, and it is clear that a lot of preparation goes into it, not only from a pure musical perspective, but also from a dramatic and creative standpoint. Very cool stuff!

Following that, we headed to Lilly's Cafe and Wine Bar in downtown Osseo to meet up with Kim and Eric. This cute little 8 table cafe served a selection of mainly paninis and flatbreads with a variety of toppings. All very casual, with a nice and inexpensive wine list. The owner herself was even waiting the tables, and she was a most gracious host.

We had an appetizer platter that consisted of the fresh baked bread with a variety of toppings (tomato & basil, sun-dreid tomato butter, black olive tapenade, hummus, and a hot tomato and goat cheese). Following that, I ordered a panini with pastrami, white cheddar, and a spicy relish. Yum! The food was really, really good. And so was the wine, for that matter! We had a few different bottles through the course of the evening (a California Merlot, Argentine Malbec, and a delicious French Burgundy...did I write down any of the names? Of course not!).

The whole dinner was very reasonable, too. Five people, appetizer platter, entrees, and three bottles of wine set each of us back $45 including the tip. What a deal! I was a fantastic evening with even more fantastic friends. We had a ball, and I can't wait to go back. If you are ever in Osseo, Lilly's is worth stopping at.

Today was lazy by comparison. I watched sports and made a homemade pizza for dinner (see below).

Pepperoni roasted peppers, assorted olives, with three cheeses...awesome!



A great way to wrap up a very fun weekend. Now, I am ready for Monday and will be bracing myself for the 6 inches of snow the National Weather Circus is predicting for tomorrow. Yeah, I said it. 6 inches! We are even under a "Heavy Snow Warning." Not too bad for almost being April, huh? At the rate we are going, they will still be ice fishing in May! :)

Looking for my snowshoes,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails