Sunday, March 09, 2008

We will drink no wine...before daylight savings time

I have to believe we are about to turn the corner with this winter weather. I ran on both Friday morning (-9 below zero) and Saturday morning (a sweltering -2 below zero), and it is a week and a half until spring starts. Something is bound to change...right? I mean, daylight savings time is here!

My Saturday run was quite nice, even if it was slightly on the chilly side. I did 9 miles at a fairly decent pace. There were lots of birds singing, and I even saw my first big hawk of the year (I believe it was a juvenile red-tailed) sitting in a tree along the trail. If the big hawks are returning, spring is on the way (or at least that is what I keep telling myself!).

The reds from last night's wine tasting



Last night my friends Brett and Lisa had a wine tasting event with their wine club, and they invited me to partake in the festivities. The wines all had a summer theme (whites that would be nice for drinking on the deck, and reds to go with steak on the grill).

We had a Spanish white from the Rias Baixas region to start, followed by a rather delicate but expansive Lacryma Christi del Vesuvio Italian white, and then we had a very powerful 2006 Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand.

Moving on to the reds, we tasted a 2005 Emeades Zinfandel that had some beautiful fruit up front with lots of vanilla on the finish. The final wine of the evening was a rather complex 2003 Chateau Montelena Cabernet. The Montelena was initially pretty tight, but after Brett decanted the second bottle, it really opened up beautifully. All of the wines were excellent.

We had an assortment of food to munch on as well; fruit, crackers, cheeses, bruschetta, and Brett even grilled up some whole beef tenderloin that was crusted with garlic, cumin, and cilantro (a Bobby Flay recipe), which was absolutely outstanding. It was just a fantastic evening of food and conversation with some wonderful people. Thanks for having me, guys!

Today was lazy by comparison; basketball, golf, and NASCAR on TV, and some beef stir-fry for dinner.

Nice and spicy



Not a bad weekend. And the days are getting longer, too. See, I am telling you, spring is on the way. I BELIEVE! :)

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails