Sunday, May 11, 2008

Many warblers

Despite overcast skies Saturday morning, it was still perfect for running. At the start, it was 45 and cloudy, but winds were clam. Absolutely ideal. I put in 12 miles, looping around my lake a couple of times, and it was a good run.

The forest floor is coming to life. The woods was covered with Dutchman's breeches wildflowers. They were everywhere! It is good to start seeing flowers again.

There were some new birds on my run as well. I saw a few green herons. I like these birds. Everywhere I have lived in the cities, I have had one or more of them along my running route, and they are the cutest little waterbirds. Also, I saw my first Baltimore oriole of the season. A very bright and striking bird, to say the least.

Warblers have been moving through here in waves, and as it turns out, the best bird watching has been from the comfort of my own living room. The forest in the courtyard has provided me with eleven different species this spring, including three new additions to my birding life list!

I had a pair of Cape May warblers on Saturday afternoon while it was raining, the Wilson's warbler (who spent the better part of Sunday afternoon here), and also the blackpoll warbler. They were all so beautiful, and I was very excited. And to think all the time I have spent birding in the woods, and I didn't even leave my home and I got three life listers in less than 24 hours. Outstanding!

All in all, a great weekend of running, nature, and birds. Last night's venison stroganoff with mushrooms and caramelized onions, and tonight's homemade meatballs with spaghetti, didn't exactly suck, either... :)

Venison, Russian style



Mama mia!



Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails